God the Father chose a young virgin in Nazareth to become the mother of Jesus, God the Son. How did this affect her? We find out in an amazing demonstration of the power of God through her words.
“And Mary said: ‘My soul magnifies the Lord, And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant; For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. For He who is mighty has done great things for me, And holy is His name. And His mercy is on those who fear Him From generation to generation. He has shown strength with His arm; He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. He has put down the mighty from their thrones, And exalted the lowly. He has filled the hungry with good things, And the rich He has sent away empty. He has helped His servant Israel, In remembrance of His mercy, As He spoke to our fathers, To Abraham and to his seed forever.”
Mary expressed great joy because of what God had done for her.
- my soul magnifies the Lord
- my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior
- He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant
- all generations will call me blessed
- He who is mighty has done great things for me
- holy is His name
It’s obvious from what Mary said that she was humbled by what God had done for her. Mary saw herself as being in the lowly state of being God’s maidservant and needing God’s salvation. She knew that future generations would call her blessed because of what God had done for her.
The Holy Spirit also gave Mary great spiritual insight into what God had done and would do for Israel. Even though the country was under cruel Roman rule, God reminded Israel of His great power to conquer and save through the prophetic words of a young girl who was filled with the Holy Spirit and who carried the Messiah in her womb.
- He has shown strength with His arm
- He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts
- He has put down the mighty from their thrones and exalted the lowly
- He has filled the hungry with good things and the rich He has sent away empty
- He has helped His servant Israel, in remembrance of His mercy, as He spoke to our fathers, to Abraham and to his seed forever
What God was doing through Mary was just the beginning of the most amazing event this world would ever see … God becoming flesh!
Tomorrow, we’ll see why God did it.
“Scripture taken from the New King James Version®. Copyright © 1982 by Thomas Nelson. Used by permission. All rights reserved.