“A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another; as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35
In our last Teaching Notes we began sharing some of the lessons taught during a discipleship seminar at churches more than 40 years ago. We addressed the Center, Goals and Outline of discipleship.
In this edition we are going to look at the Disciple’s Basic Eight.
[These notes are from a seminar series taught more than 40 years ago. The notes are in outline form.]
- Love – 1 Corinthians 13
- Obedience – John 14:23-24
- Sacrifice – Matthew 16:24-25
- Servitude – Mark 10:42-45
- Bible Study – Read, Study, Memorize, Meditate, Apply
- Prayer – Adoration, Confession, Thanksgiving, Supplication
- Witnessing – Testimony, Witness, Evangelism
- Fellowship – Hebrews 10:24-25
“And let us constantly be giving careful attention to one another for the purpose of stimulating one another to divine and self-sacrificial love and good works, not letting down on the assembling of ourselves together, even as the custom of certain is, but exhorting one another, and so much the more as you are seeing the day drawing near.”
Becoming a disciple of Christ includes –
- Assurance of Salvation
- Lordship of Christ
- Friendship of Christ
- Daily Devotions
- Church Involvement
- Developing Right Doctrine*
- Developing Right Practice*
* We’ll share more about developing right doctrine and right practice in our next Teaching Notes.
[Thank you for reading these teaching notes from more than 40 years ago. My prayer is they will be a blessing to you and your ministry.]