Teaching Notes are Bible studies we taught before GraceLife Ministries began publishing articles online in 1995. Some were presented as sermons, others as group studies.
Our hope is that these older studies will be a blessing to you in your life and ministry. Please use them in any way God leads you.
This study looks at how a Christian can know God’s specific will for their lives.
[These notes are from a Bible study taught more than 40 years ago. The notes are in outline form.]
I. God’s written will
A. Positive commands (example – Mark 16:15)
B. Negative commands (example – 2 Cor. 6:14)
II. God’s unwritten will
A. Prerequisites for Divine guidance
- An obedience to the written will of God
- A willingness to do God’s will before you know it. (Romans 8:32)
- A willingness to suffer for Christ’s sake.
- A clear conscience from past sins.
B. Sources of Divine guidance
C H A R T
- God’s Word
III. Finding God’s work for your life
A. Follow your interests and abilities
B. Cultivate many interests
C. Be open to change
IV. Common misconceptions about God’s will
A. “Well, this is something I really want to do, so it can’t possibly be God’s will.”
B. “I haven’t gotten a definite answer yet for every part of the problem, so I’m not going to do anything”
C. “From everything I’ve heard, God’s will must be something wild and bizarre.”
D. “Well, Lord, I’ve decided that the best way I can serve you is ___________.”
E. “Boy, everything is just moonlight and roses, so I must be in God’s will.”
F. “I’ve disobeyed the Lord. I missed His will sometime ago, so I’m doomed to second best.”
V. Seven ways to miss God’s will for your life
- Follow sensual desires – James 4:1
- Put yourself first – James 4:2
- Pray with the wrong motive – James 4:3
- Choose the wrong friends – James 4:4
- Fail to confess known sin – James 4:8
- Refuse to be humble – James 4:10
- Reject the grace of God – James 4:13-17
[Thank you for reading these teaching notes from more than 40 years ago. My prayer is they will be a blessing to you, your family and your ministry.]