Teaching Notes are Bible studies we taught before GraceLife Ministries began publishing articles online in 1995. Some were presented as sermons, others as group studies.
Our hope is that these older studies will be a blessing to you in your life and ministry. Please use them in any way God leads you.
These teaching notes are the second part of a study about the Deity and Eternality of Jesus Christ. You can read Part 1 here.
[These notes are from a study taught more than 40 years ago. The notes are in outline form.]
II. Truth about Christ’s Deity and Eternality
A. What the Evangelists believed about Christ
- Matthew – 4:5-7; 14:25-33
- Mark – 5:6-8; 14:55-65
- Luke – 22:66-70
- John – 1:1-5, 14-18; 5:16-18, 20-24; 8:54-59; 10:25-33 20:31
F. Godet in Commentary on the Gospel of St. John (1892)
“In the last part of this verse (23) Jesus thrusts a warning at those who accuse Him of blasphemy. He tells them that by hurling abuse at Him they are actually hurling it at God and that it is God who is outraged by their treatment of Jesus.”
J.C. Ryle in Expository Thoughts on the Gospels (1866)
“They who profess zeal for the one God do not honor Him aright unless they honor the Son as they honor the Father.”
Henry Alford in The Greek Testament (1868)
“All unbiased exegesis of these words must recognize in them a declaration of the essential pre-existence of Christ.” (on John 8:54-59)
Frederick Spurr in Jesus is God (1899)
“Prefaced by the double Amen — the strongest oath — our Lord claims the incommunicable name of the Divine Being. The Jews recognize His meaning and horrified, they seek to stone Him.”
A.T. Robertson in Word Pictures in the New Testament (1930)
“This crisp statement is the climax of Christ’s claims concerning the relationship between the Father and himself (the Son). They stir the Pharisees to uncontrollable anger.” (on John 10:25-33)
B. What the Apostle Peter believed
- Matthew 16:13-16
- Acts 2:36-39
- 2 Peter 1:1 (according to the strict grammatical construction of the passage, “God” and “Savior” are both predicates of “Jesus Christ.”)
C. What the Apostle Paul believed
- Colossians 1:15-17
- Philippians 2:5-11
- 1 Timothy 3:14-16
- Titus 2:13
D. What the writer to the Hebrews believed
E. What the Apostle John believed
- 1 John 2:22-23
- 1 John 4:1-3
- 2 John 7
III. Conclusions about Christ’s Deity and Eternality
- Jesus Christ has come in the flesh.
- Jesus Christ is the Eternal God.
- Positive – In view of who Jesus Christ is we should: love Him with our whole being, worship Him as God, submit to His will for our lives, and obey His every command and teaching.
- Negative – In view of the Apostolic teaching concerning false teaching about the deity and eternality of Jesus Christ, we should: separate ourselves from anyone who does not teach that Jesus came in the flesh and is the Eternal God.
a. If they are teaching in your church, they should be warned and disciplined if necessary.
b. If the leaders of your church will not do anything about the false teaching, then separate yourself from the church.
c. Warn others to not support any teacher of false doctrine lest they should share in their wicked work.
[Thank you for reading these teaching notes from more than 40 years ago. My prayer is they will be a blessing to you and your ministry.]