Teaching Notes are Bible studies we taught before GraceLife Ministries began publishing articles online in 1995. Some were presented as sermons, others as group studies.
Our hope is that these older studies will be a blessing to you in your life and ministry. Please use them in any way God leads you.
These teaching notes are from a study in the Book of Proverbs.
[These notes are from a study taught more than 40 years ago. The notes are in outline form.]
(Have people turn to the Book of Proverbs)
A. Purpose of Proverbs
- For attaining wisdom and discipline
achieving wisdom – discerning right from wrong (synonym prudence), good from evil (good judgment)
achieving discipline – training that strengthens, correction
- For understanding words of insight
- For acquiring a disciplined and prudent life
- Doing what is right and just and fair
- For giving prudence to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the young
knowledge – clear perception of a truth, fact or subject
discretion – individual judgment
B. Words in Proverbs
There are many words in Proverbs that are very important to our clear understanding of this Bible Book.
- Fools – morally deficient (lacking in the essential quality of morals – conforming to general accepted ideas of what is right and just in human conduct)
- Simple – a person without moral direction and inclined to evil
- Sinners – those who have a lifestyle of doing wrong (wicked people)
- Righteous – those who have a lifestyle of doing right (upright and blameless people)
C. Warnings of Proverbs
- Ch. 1:18-19 – Solomon warns his son against the enticement of sinners.
- Ch. 1:20-33 – Solomon warns his son against rejecting wisdom.
- Ch. 5, 6:20-7:27 – Solomon warns his son against adultery and the adulteress.
- Ch. 6:1-19 – Solomon warns his son against folly in life situations.
D. Benefits from Proverbs (the wisdom of Proverbs)
These are found primarily in chapters 2 and 3.
- Understanding the fear of the Lord
- Finding the knowledge of God
- Victory in life’s situations
- Protection through life
- Salvation from the ways of wicked men
- Salvation from the adulteress
- Long life
- Prosperity during life
- Favor and a good name in the sight of God and man
- Walking straight paths
- Physical. health
- rue riches and honor
- Freedom from fear
- A good night’s sleep
We will look at exhortations and special appeals from Proverbs in the next part of our study.
[Thank you for reading these teaching notes from more than 40 years ago. My prayer is they will be a blessing to you and your ministry.]